Whether you need to invest in dental implants dentures or you just want to have your teeth whitened, here are a few interesting facts you should know about the dental industry in the United States.
1. As many as 99.7 percent of American adults feel that their smile is an important social asset. Not only spending money on teeth whitening treatments, but also the overall look and straightness of the teeth. As many as 96 percent of adults also believe a quality smile makes them attractive to the other sex, and they find people with a quality smile more attractive.
2. Dental implants dentures are a permanent alternative to dentures because they are grafted directly to the jaw.
3. Did you know that men and women under the age of 30 account for about 20 percent of all cosmetic dental patients.
Dental veneers are made out of dental porcelain and adhered to natural teeth to provide them with a whiter, more attractive appearance.
4. Over half of patients who seek cosmetic dentistry are between 41 and 60 years of age.
5. Dental implants have a success rate of up to 98 percent, and can last a lifetime with proper care.
6. Dental floss was first made in 1882, and it was actually made of silk!
7. Over three million miles’ worth of dental floss is purchased each year in the United States.
8. In 1994, a prison inmate in West Virginia was able to braid dental floss into a rope, then use it to rappel down the prison wall and escape.
9. A dental implant is placed into the bone socket of the missing tooth. Over the next six to 12 weeks, the jawbone heals, growing around the implant and anchoring it securely in the jaw.
10. The average cosmetic dentistry patient spends between $5000 and $6000 on procedures to improve their smile.
11. Gingivitis is a form of gum disease that is both preventable and reversible.
12. Dental veneers are thin, custom-made shells of tooth-colored materials designed to cover the front surface of teeth.
13. Most tooth loss in people under 35 years of age is caused by athletic trauma, fights or accidents.
14. Many adult orthodontic patients choose Invisalign for cosmetic reasons.
15. Adults who require orthodontic treatment often choose Invisalign over traditional metal braces because they are nearly invisible. Ger more information on this topic here.